Archive for the ‘One Day’ Category

Pakistan v/s Sri Lanka: Gonna be Interesting

January 19, 2009

It’s Pakistan v/s Sri Lanka 1st ODI match, which is being played in Pakistan (Much needed home series). With both the teams in form and raring to go, it is going to be an interesting match to watch. It is also going to be interesting how Pakistani’s cope with Mendis threat. On other hand side Shoaib Akhtar has also been reported fit.

Well, it is a must watch game. I will keep you updated on scores.

Happy Watching !!

Sandesh Kumar

It’s England touring India, after Australia!!

November 10, 2008

Dear Readers,

Now it’s turn for England to pull up their socks, against India. Here is the complete details of 7 ODI’s between India and England:

November 2008
Fri 14
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT
1st ODI – India v England
Madhavrao Scindia Cricket Ground, Rajkot
Mon 17
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT
2nd ODI – India v England
Maharani Usharaje Trust Cricket Ground, Indore
Thu 20
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT
3rd ODI – India v England
Green Park, Kanpur
Sun 23 D/N
14:00 local, 08:30 GMT
4th ODI – India v England
M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore
Wed 26 D/N
14:00 local, 08:30 GMT
5th ODI – India v England
Barabati Stadium, Cuttack
Sat 29
09:00 local, 03:30 GMT
6th ODI – India v England
Nehru Stadium, Guwahati

– CricVille –
Sandesh Kumar

Symonds out for India Series, opt for pace

September 13, 2008

Australia will be counting on their pace attack, not spin, to beat India in their four-Test series that begins next month, chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch said on Friday.

Australia named the uncapped Doug Bollinger and Peter Siddle in their 15-man squad to provide back-up to the front line trio of Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson for the series.

“It’ll depend on conditions, they are spinner friendly, but when we won there last time (in 2004) we won because of our quick bowlers and we think it’ll be the same this time,” Hilditch told reporters in Adelaide on Friday.

Selectors also included uncapped legspinner Bryce McGain, who could make his Test debut at the age of 36, and offspinner Jason Krejza in the squad to replace the now retired Stuart MacGill.

All-rounder Andrew Symonds, dropped from the side for the one-day series with Bangladesh in Darwin earlier this month after he missed a team meeting and went fishing instead, was not included.

Hilditch had said earlier in a statement that Symonds would not be considered again until the national selection panel were satisfied he was committed to playing for the team.

The 33-year-old, who was almost sent home from the 2005 Ashes tour of England when he turned up for a match still under the influence of alcohol, has been replaced by fellow all-rounder Shane Watson.

“You miss Andrew Symonds, he’s a great player, but this is just the way it is at the moment,” said Hilditch.

“At the moment it’s all about Andrew’s welfare and that process will take as long as it takes.”

Captain Ricky Ponting (wrist) and opening batsman Matthew Hayden (Achille’s tendon) have been included after they returned home injured from the tour of West Indies.

Ponting had surgery while Hayden underwent an extensive rehabilitation programme, with both missing the recent one-day series in Darwin.

The first Test begins in Bangalore on Oct. 9, followed by matches in Mohali (Oct. 17-21), Delhi (Oct. 29-Nov. 2) and in Nagpur (Nov. 5-9). Hilditch said the series was becoming as important to Australia as the Ashes series with England.

“It’s an iconic series, I don’t know what the players would say about which is more important, we always traditionally say the Ashes and that will always be up there, but this is really up there for the players,” he said.

“We’ve only won there once in 30 years so this’ll be a real test for this team and we’ve picked it to specifically try to win this series.”

– About Cricket –

Sandesh Kumar Jaggi

Andrew Symonds back in nets

September 13, 2008

Andrew Symonds has joined his good friend Matthew Hayden for a net session in Queensland in what is believed to be his first hit-out since being banished from Australia’s squad. Symonds took the opportunity for some practice on Friday, the same day he was left out of Australia’s 15-man touring party to visit India.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that Queensland were hopeful the allrounder would be training with the state squad within a couple of weeks. He has reportedly already spoken to Phil Jauncey, the sports psychologist who will help Symonds through his rehabilitation program organised by Cricket Australia.

However, Cricket Australia stood firm on Symonds’ situation and told the selectors he was not ready to be considered for the India trip. Aside from a brief statement that shed little light on his situation, Symonds has not spoken publicly since being sent home from Darwin for going fishing when he should have been at a team meeting.

Symonds’ general attitude has been a concern for Australia over the past 12 months, a period during which he was subjected to monkey chants during an ODI series in India and was then at the centre of a racism controversy with India’s Harbhajan Singh. The incident resulted in Harbhajan being initially banned for three Tests but then cleared on appeal.

Adam Gilchrist, Symonds’ former team-mate, believes the batsman remains upset about the racism episodes. “I think it is fair to say that Andrew Symonds is heavily affected by the last year’s incidents,” Gilchrist told CNN-IBN.

“I can’t speak for him as in what he was thinking but it is difficult to explain things. It is a common problem or issue and it is only going to be increased with pressures and intensity and the scrutiny that these players go through.”

The loss of Symonds, who has averaged 77.70 in Tests in the past year, is a big blow to Australia’s middle order ahead of the four-Test tour. Harbhajan, who will play in the series, is keen to put last season’s controversy behind him.

“I would prefer to look forward,” Harbhajan told the Sydney Morning Herald. “He is obviously a great player and there is no doubt about his ability to change a match. He has done a lot for Australian cricket. I hope he is well, and that he is getting better.”

Digicel proposes to end contract row

September 13, 2008

The row between the West Indies Cricket Board and its sponsors, Digicel, took another twist on Thursday with a proposal from the company to settle its dispute with the board.

In August, Digicel filed an injunction in the High Court in London seeking to have the WICB withdraw all approval for the Stanford Super Series which, it claimed, encroached its “exclusive sponsorship rights”. The move came in the light of rumours that Stanford was close to signing Cable and Wireless (Digicel’s competitor and a former sponsor of the West Indies team) as a sponsor for the series.

The court put the matter to arbitration, and the results of this are due in October. Digicel said it proposed a “compromise solution will involve the waiver of a considerable number of legal and commercial rights owned by Digicel by virtue of its sole and exclusive sponsorship agreement with the WICB”.

The conditions of the offer are that the Stanford side in the 20/20 for 20 match against England on November 1 wear official West Indies kit with Digicel branding; that no telecommunications company be involved in the event; and that Digicel’s costs be paid for by the board.

While this might appear one-sided, Digicel claims that in return it will be “foregoing a large number of valuable legal rights and entitlements including broadcast rights, exclusively branded pitch mats, sight screens, perimeter boards, promotional opportunities, advertising, content rights and various other avenues for commercial use that it currently owns by virtue of its sole and exclusive sponsorship agreement with the WICB”.

“Digicel would call upon both the WICB and Stanford to engage constructively on this matter and to put cricket in the West Indies first. Digicel’s compromise solution is a very credible alternative and provides something for every party concerned.”

Insiders believe that the WICB might have little option but to agree to the bulk of the demands, because without the board’s backing, the series could be deemed unofficial which, given the precedent set with the ICL in India, would create numerous issues for the players involved.

As far as the ECB are concerned, however, the matches were approved by the ICC back in June, and so they have no doubts about their status.

– About Cricket –

Sandesh Kumar Jaggi